Friday, September 7, 2007

Time Is On My Side...Or Is It?

You've all heard it or said it yourselves: how time flies. "Wow, it's almost Christmas" or "Summer's almost over" - time is sure flying.

I read something once somewhere and I wish I could remember where about a theory about the passage of time. The author theorized that part of the reason times moves slower when we are younger is because our brains are still learning and absorbing knowledge, like a sponge and as we learn, our brains grow. So as we grow older and obtain knowledge about the world around us, time passes much more quickly. A good theory, if I ever heard one.

My father-in-law and I were discussing this just last week. His theory is that yes, time passes more quickly as you grow older because you are that much closer to death and have less life to live. So, for him, time is moving much faster because he is older and that much closer to the end of his life.

Interesting. But what about a 10 year old boy who dies when he is 11? Is time moving faster for him because he has less life to live than somebody who will die at 75?

Let's face it, a day is only 24 hours long because somebody made it that way. What is 24 hours but a man made idea really. The same as minutes, years, etc. So is time really on *our* side after all?

No comments: