Monday, July 25, 2011

Here Come Your Winnipeg Jets!

I was 5 years old the first time my Dad took me to a Winnipeg Jets hockey game.  I can still remember walking into the "old barn" and being enthralled with that place and all the sights and sounds.  From that moment on, I was hooked and was in love with a team.

I spent a lot of time in that building over many years.  I was there the night Temmu Selanne broke Mike Bossy's rookie record:


I was there for the last game the Jets played.  I spent many, many nights in my room listening to Curt Keilback call my team's games, even when they lost 15-2.  I went to Fingers before and after the games and even watched the post game show in the lounge in the Old Barn many a time.  I was there.  Through thick and thin for that team I was there so when they left for Phoenix, I was devastated.  It was like a piece of me was ripped away, never to return and yes, I know, this is only hockey but for me, it was a part of my life just like it is for many people.

And now, 15 years later, they are back!  Oh rah, rah, let's hear it for the Jets right??  Except, I don't know how to feel about it.  And it's not like its the same team returning to the scene of the crime either.  It's a whole different team with a different history and they are still going to call the team the Winnipeg Jets, with, I might add, a whole new logo:

Now, you didn't win me over by keeping the old Jets name and while I don't think it was the right choice, part of me gets it.  But to my way of thinking, new team=new name.  So you stick with the Jets name and design a new logo.  Okay, makes sense but it just doesn't grab me, the new logo (and no offence meant to our esteemed military out there either).  And this is coming from a hockey fan.  A hockey fan who is shelling out some well earned $$$ to support this team by way of season tickets.

With all that being said and like it or love it, I'm still going to support this team but with reservations because there's something way back in the small recesses of my mind that says my heart just might get ripped out and stomped on again...

No comments: