Saturday, January 29, 2011

You're Only As Sick As You're Secrets



Yesterday, Theo Fleury was here in Winnipeg to do a talk at the University of Manitoba.  I hemmed and hawed about going for awhile and finally decided to go, knowing that if I didn't, I would be disappointed in myself.

For any hockey fans out there, Theo needs no introduction but for those of you that don't know, he is a former NHL player, Stanley Cup winner, Olympic Gold Medal winner and recent author of his own book Playing With Fire.  His book talks about his life and how he had to overcome major adversity to get to be the person that he is today.

My decision to go hear him speak was the right one and I was not disappointed.  While I can't imagine all that he's gone through in his life, his courage, work ethic and desire inspires me to be a better person and while I can't take away the abuse he suffered as a teenager, my heart goes out to that young boy who is long gone and aches for all those that suffer and continue to do so.

After he finished speaking, I was able to shake his hand and share a few words with him and his talk stayed with me all day.  1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be abused - that's 2 out of every 9 kids which in fact is a terrrible statistic and a statistic that shouldn't even exist yet it does!  It does and it shouldn't and that thought just makes me sick and angry.

Theo's main message yesterday was "Work hard and give back".  Theo's trying to do that, why can't we all in some small way?

No comments: