Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What's Good for the Goose...

About 3 weeks ago, we instituted a new rule in our household for the kids: no tv during the week. You can only watch tv on the weekend.

Why did we do this? Well I have to admit I got tired of my kids acting like zombies and not even noticing if I asked them something. And then when it was bedtime, it was a big fight to get them to go to bed, especially if they were watching a show. I also noticed it affected their mood. I can't be sure the tv has anything to do with that, but its a hunch. Along with that we started "Family Movie Nite" on Friday's where we'd all hunker down and watch a family type movie, which is sometimes hard to pick with a 4 and an almost 8 year old. So far we've watch Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties, Snow Dogs, Honey We Shrunk Ourselves and one other which I can't recall right now.

So far, the kids seem to be taking to this new regime really well. They asked to watch tv during the first week but now, they don't ask at all and they sure seem to look forward to movie night. Its a good thing.

And just the other day, another new rule: no candy during the week. Not that they were eating tons of candy but still, I got tired of a certain pint sized 8 year old asking for it. It helps that we went to the Dentist yesterday too and they got a whole bunch of homework cards to eat fruits, veggies and all the "green" foods that will help them grow.

So are you wondering now if I've given anything up after asking my kids to? Well, yes as a matter of fact, I have. I also, will not be eating candy during the week. I *love* candy like sour soothers, wine gums, etc. So I think its only fair that I give it up too.

And well, of course, slurpees. No slurpees during the week which I have been doing since January anyways with the odd slip in the middle of the week. Its only fair.

Stay tuned for more changes in the Quinlan household.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm going to Calgary this summer! Its our 10th Anniversary and we're going over the Labor Day long weekend! Woot! A caching we will go. Calgary's got one of the biggest municipal parks in Canada and there are about 30 caches in it! I'm so excited!

No comments: